Science and Policy
Find all articles and reports in this mission area:
- Federal Powers to Control Communicable Conditions: Call for Reforms to Assure National Preparedness and Promote Global Security. February 2017.
- National-Level Biosafety Norms Needed for Dual-Use Research in the Life Sciences. Dual-use concerns—that legitimate research has the potential to be misused—are inherent in life sciences research. In the past 15 years, numerous scientific papers have raised security questions, and split opinions of scientists, ethicists, and policymakers on whether the research should have been performed or published. July 2014.
- A Series of Cre-ERT2 Drivers for Manipulation of the Skeletal Muscle Lineage. June 2014.
- Triumphs, Trials, and Tribulations of the Global Response to MERS Coronavirus. Improved collaboration among clinicians, scientists, and public health authorities is needed to understand the epidemiology and define the sources and modes of transmission. May 2014.
Events and Multimedia
Find all multimedia in this mission area:
- NIAID's Role in and Contributions to US Biosecurity--Part 2. Dr. Michael Kurilla discusses NIAID's role in biosecurity, ways to shorten drug development, and why we should move away from the "one-bug-one-drug" to development. September 2012.
- NIAID's Role In and Contributions to US Biosecurity--Part 1. Dr. Michael Kurilla discusses NIAID's role in biosecurity, ways to shorten drug development, and why we should move away from the "one-bug-one-drug" to development. September 2012.
Testimony or Briefings
Find all testimony and briefings in this mission area:
- Bioterrorism: Assessing the Threat. Dr. Inglesby describes the commonalities among bioterrorism and other major biological threats confronting the nation--antimicrobial resistance, new pandemics, the possibility of accidental release of an engineered contagious pathogen bioterrorism--to make the case for strengthening our ability to respond and not letting our guard down. February 2014.
- National Health Security Preparedness Index Launched. ASTHO, with CDC and 20 other partners, including the Center, created the NHSPI to measure and advance the nation's readiness to protect people during a disaster, with the goal of identifying US strengths and areas for smart investment. December 2013.